Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sleepless in Seattle…for real

When you go from the East Coast to the West Coast, your internal clock fails, majorly. Most days I was up until midnight PST (or later) and up by 4:30 or 5:00 am…yuck.

But all-in-all it was a good time.

Our Returnee Initiative launched a major project this past weekend. While at recent AFS events we began to make our presence known, at this event we were moving-and-shaking.

We participated as Sending and Volunteer Coordinators, showing AFS-USA that we can be (and are) active at the local level. But most importantly, we (a group of 100% Returnees) ran a workshop about integrating new volunteers. We encouraged and facilitated brainstorming as to the best ways to incorporate Returnees in areas where, until now, they are mostly undervalued. And we rocked it! Go us!

Anyway, amidst the Starbucks runs and the workshops, I got the chance to wander through the City of Seattle. We ate at Pike’s Place Market, which I failed to take a picture of. It was such an interesting phenomenon. A daily event in Seattle is more like a once-a-year type event for Buffalo. Good food too!

---

The famous Space Needle, but this is as close as I got.

015 016     

The Puget Sound, absolutely gorgeous!

007012011

Mount Rainier. We were told that you could go for weeks without seeing the mountain due to clouds and weather.

008

The City of Seattle009 

This picture cracks me up. I don’t know when or how it was taken, oops. But look! I was there!

010

The brown and white speckled birds were everywhere. I want to know what they are.013

The Puget Sound from uphill in the city.014

Much thanks to our local Returnee Initiative member Rick for his amazing tour guide skills (except he didn’t know what kind of bird that was…)

Looking back at these photos almost makes me forget my adventure home…almost. But that’s for another post.

No comments: