Saturday, May 28, 2011

What I “knew” About being Pregnant

When this adventure kicked off in February, so did the big mystery. I soon realized that, even though, I had witnessed my mom’s multiple pregnancies growing up, I had no clue. The handling of a newborn and raising of a child, while I know and concede that it will be challenging, I have no doubts we can aptly (if not alertly) handle it. I’ve helped to care for a good number of little ones along the way. Granted there are no parents to hand an unruly child too-I’ll be the one this little one is handed off too, and night feedings are for Marc and I (well me, since I’ll be the food source) to handle. I’m confident we are more than knowledgeable and capable of handling that part. It’s the incubating months prior that I’m learning about day by day. And so I thought I’d enlighten you about the things I “knew” about pregnancy before this journey began, and what I really know now.

#1 PREGNANT WOMEN HAVE TO PEE SO FREQUENTLY BECAUSE THE BABY IS PRESSING ON THE BLADDER.

Oh, silly me. Don’t you know this phenomenon starts at the beginning. You know when the baby is microscopic and nowhere near capable of pressing down on anything, much less your bladder. Apparently, your blood supplies begins to increase by a significant about making the kidneys work harder, and you to pee more.

#2 PREGNANT WOMEN ARE TIRED FROM CARRYING A BABY IN THE LAST MONTHS BECAUSE OF THE INCREASED WEIGHT

Ok, so maybe that’s not the reason I thought us pregnant women got tired exactly, but I know I didn’t think that happened in the first trimester. Oh, but we are tired. all. the. time. Don’t ask just assume. And book and resources say you get an energy boost in the second trimester…well I’m waiting. That can kick in at any time now.

#3 PREGNANT WOMEN ARE TIRED SO SLEEP ISN’T A PROBLEM.

Ha. Ha. Haa… From the girl who never really had trouble sleeping…oh how I miss a good solid night’s sleep. I guess I’ve forfeited those for a good long while.  Between peeing, shifting pillows to roll over, and random bouts of “damn-I’m-tired-but-I’m-wide-awake” sleep is elusive.

#4 PREGNANT WOMEN GET OUT OF BREATH DUE TO A BABY RUDELY RAMMING THEIR LUNGS

As I answer the phone at work, I sometimes feel as if I’m in the middle of a workout. And I’ve yet to feel a flutter; baby’s not quite big enough to steal my lungs. Apparently in the Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen exchange, baby wins out…and ergo I sometimes need to add a gulp of air to my conversation now and again.

#5 PREGNANCY IS 9 MONTHS

This is one thing that I “knew” for sure. It’s non negotiable, everyone “knows” this. Nope. It’s 10. 40 weeks. I just is, and that’s that.

----

I’m sure there are some others that I’m not thinking of, or have yet to make themselves known to me. For a while I thought I was just imagining things because I wanted to feel some symptom that I was pregnant (besides nausea…I sympathize with all you puking mamas out there, I was lucky to mostly avoid the actual getting sick part), but I guess I wasn’t making those up. But honestly, I won’t trade any of this for the world. This is one mystery I’m happy to unravel, because the treasure at the end is more priceless than anything.

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,

1 comment:

Mark said...

no sleep for the next 18-21 years or so...