Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Who I am

I was told recently (*waves* Hi Jason) that my Facebook status was not for me…apparently people want to know what Autumn is doing…good riddance to me. It’s happened—that identity change. No longer am I Tracy, but now mommy and Autumn’s mommy. And, do you know what? I am 100% ok with that.

My mom told me once when I was talking about being a stay at home mom that some people can’t do it. You have to have self-esteem that is not fueled by success at work. You cannot have an identity that is your work. An I can see that…other people need to get out of the house…or need to feel intellectually challenged on a daily basis. And by that I don’t me trying to answer “why not?” with something other than “because I said so.”

My identity is definitely not my work. Heck, for half my life my family was my identity. “Oh you’re one of that clan.”

That said, I still work. I have the pleasure and privilege of being a part-time work at home mom. I an extremely lucky to have family who can provide the hour or so daycare that I need for the munchkin. And everyday I get to see that beautiful face smiling at me (don’t worry she yells at me sometimes and provides MANY diapers to change too). I know there will be days when I need a break; I’ll need to lock myself in the bathroom/office/bedroom…but for today…

Today, I am Autumn’s mom…and that is just who I am.

 

No comments: